Monday, May 4, 2015

My Writing Instruction Reflection

Entry #2  Writing Instruction Reflection

Although I cannot remember a great deal about my writing instruction at elementary school, I do remember working through a text book that gave short reading selections.  After reading the selection, there were a number of comprehension questions to answer, which you had to answer by writing full sentences.  We were also given formal grammar lessons using workbooks.  One project I remember well was when I got to write about my own topic of interest, plan out the page topics and build up my own book.  This would have stuck in my memory because I got to choose a topic that was motivating and meaningful for me.

Writing in high school was always something we did independently.  I cannot remember ever having to discuss ideas before or during writing, or reflecting on my work with others after writing.  I never had the sense that I ever understood what my teacher was looking for in my writing.  I never struggled with learning to write, but I cannot say that I ever enjoyed writing at school, and can’t remember any writing I did at high school, perhaps because I never bought into the way writing was taught.   

I would say my experiences followed the learning view (traditional writing classroom) because there was a main emphasis on correct writing conventions, and the teacher would always correct my work.  I can’t remember working with my peers to help develop and improve my writing.  I am sure I would have enjoyed the writing experience much more if I had been exposed to the opposing acquisition view of writing (the process writing classroom), which would have been much more meaningful.



No comments:

Post a Comment